Our identity is the way we define ourselves. It is the collections of values, beliefs, qualities and personality traits that make you, you. It is the answer to ‘who am I?’. Identity is not a fixed state, nor do you have a single definition of your identity. You can separate identity in personal and social identity. Personal identity is everything that makes you unique, as an individual. Social identity is the collection of social roles you play in groups. The focus of this article is on personal identity.
If you want to achieve change, it is important to have a good sense of your identity. Having a strong sense of who you are will increase your self-esteem and confidence in decision-making. Your current identity is the starting point for personal development. Knowing your strengths and skills will help you exploit them. Or you might conclude that there are a couple things you dislike about who you are right now. When you know, you can work on it.
Some people have no idea of who they are, where they belong and where they want to go. This identity crisis can cause withdrawal from living a normal life. It can make them act differently at work and in personal relationships. It can even lead to negative activities and escapism, such as crime or drug abuse. If you don’t know who you are, you are usually also unable to say who you want to become.
Identity Crisis Test
If you answer YES to more than 7 of the following questions, this can indicate that you do not have a good sense of who you are:
- Do you have a feeling of aimlessness?
- Is your happiness dependent on others being happy?
- Are you unable to separate your thoughts and feelings from the thoughts and feelings of your parents?
- Do you feel social anxiety around others?
- Are you unable to create strong boundaries?
- Do you feel empty inside?
- Are your priorities scattered?
- Do you find it hard to set goals?
- Is your identity based on an ideal held by the group(s) you are in?
- Are you susceptible to peer pressure?
- Do you have a low self-esteem?
- Do you feel lost in life?
- Are you uncomfortable being by yourself?
- Is your Instagram a fake representation of your life?
- Do you feel there is something wrong with you, but are you not quite sure what?